The Compulsory Attendance Law of the State of Washington requires that any child between 8 years of age and 18 years of age must attend school full time when school is in session unless the child is enrolled in an approved private school, education center, or is receiving a home-based education. The College Place School District Board Policy and Procedure 3122 defines excused absences, unexcused absences, truancies, and also defines the responsibility of the school district, parent/guardians, and teachers in monitoring school attendance. Based on State Law, a petition must be filed with the Juvenile Court if a student has 7 unexcused absences in a month or 10 unexcused absences in a year.

Child Find
College Place Public Schools offers comprehensive special education services to all eligible students from preschool (ages 3-5; Developmental Preschool) through age 21 (18-21-year-old students are served through our A.B.L.E. transition program). Screenings, evaluations, and services for eligible students from birth to age three are provided by CPPS through ESD 123. CPPS works with all local agencies to identify and evaluate all children who might be in need of special education services. 

All special education referrals are considered confidential, and services are provided at no cost. The parent, legal guardian, or surrogate parent retains the right to refuse services and are provided other procedural safeguards under Federal and State Law. 

Public school services include screening in areas of suspected disabilities, such as vision, hearing, motor skills, speech, language, and general development. Evaluations in the schools are provided for all areas of suspected disabilities, including learning disabilities, speech, and language development, physical impairments, vision or hearing problems, mental retardation, emotional disturbances, autism/pervasive developmental disorders, health impairments, or traumatic brain injuries. 

A free, appropriate, public education with a full continuum of services is available. For more information concerning eligibility criteria and referral procedures contact the Principal or Counselor of your local school, or call the College Place Public Schools Special Education Office at (509) 525-4827. If your family is living in a temporary situation, you may contact the district where you are staying to attend a screening. Also, visit the school district website to learn more and review information about Special Education. Special Education brochures are available at the school offices.

Highly Capable Program
Any College Place School District resident child can be nominated to participate in the Highly Capable Program. Nominations come from any source, including teachers, other staff, parents, students, and members of the community. Nomination forms are located at the school offices as well as the Special Programs Office. Currently, the District accepts nominations and tests
for its program twice a year. The cutoff date for fall is October 1st and for spring is May 1st.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
Parents of children with disabilities must receive a copy of procedural safeguards one time a year (and upon initial referral or parental request for evaluation) and upon filing a request for due process hearing.

Mickinney-Vento Act 
The McKinney-Vento Act is a federal law that ensures children and youth who do not have permanent housing can go to school and preschool. It gives children and youth rights to enroll in school, stay in school, and get transportation to and from school, as well as access to school lunch programs. If you become aware of students who may qualify for services under the McKinney-Vento Act, or are in need of services for students in your family, please contact Marissa Waddell at the District Office. 509-525-4827.

Public Records Request
State Law requires school districts to provide parents and guardians with information regarding their rights under the Washington Public Disclosure Act to request public records regarding school employee discipline. To make a Public Records Request, please contact Julie James at (509) 525-4827.

School Choice Options in Washington State
Most students in Washington go to the public schools that are closest to their homes. But parents and guardians have many enrollment options for their kids. Students can attend an approved private school, enroll in an Alternative Learning Experience program (such as an online school), be taught at home, or attend a charter school. In some circumstances, they also can transfer to other schools within or outside the district in which they live. In 1990, the state Legislature formalized some of the public school options by passing the Learning by Choice law.

To learn more visit: http://www.k12.wa.us/GeneralInfo/EnrollmentOptions.aspx

Title 1 Teacher and Para Qualifications 
Under Federal Law, parents and guardians are entitled to request information about the professional qualification of their child’s teachers and educational assistants, when applicable. Such requests can be made to Marissa Waddell at (509) 525-4827.

Washington LEA Academic and Student Well-Being Recovery Plan

Under ESSER (Elementary Secondary School Emergency Relief) funds, this plan must be made available for ongoing public review. If you have questions regarding this plan, please contact the District Office.

College Place Public Schools Academic and Student Well-Being Recovery Plan

Plan de Bienestar Académico y Estudiantil del Distrito Escolar de College Place

Equity Analysis Tool Utilized for Plan Development