What is the Goal of the Homework Lab?Provide a safe place for students
· to get caught up on missing work, assignments, or assessments
· to redo assignments or assessments as directed by the teacher to show proficiency of a classroom target or standard
· to receive tutoring for better understanding of an assignment or a target
· to independently read or work on present assignments
Who attends the Homework Lab?
Students will be assigned if they
· Fall behind 3 or more assignments in any one class
· Are receiving a ‘D’ or ‘F’ in a class
Students can attended if they
· Sign up voluntarily or by parents request
Attendance will be taken:
· Whether assigned or volunteered students are expected to attend
· Students need to attend for the entire week
· Parents will be notified if a student is absent
· An absence can be treated as a truancy with progressive discipline
How do I know if a student is assigned to the Homework Lab?
· Parents will receive a phone call or email the week before being assigned
When is the Homework Lab?
· Four days a week- Monday thru Thursday
· not on Fridays or early dismissal days
· 3:05pm until 4:00pm
Where is the Homework Lab?
· Sager Middle School Room 141 and other rooms as needed
Who is supervising the Homework Lab?
· Sager Middle School teachers and para-educators
· GearUp academic advisors and tutors
What should a student bring to the Homework Lab?
· All necessary school supplies to be successful
· An independent reading book or AR book
What if a student gets caught up on their work before the week starts or after one or two days of attending the Homework Lab?
· Students will still need to attend the whole week to help ensure they do not fall behind again
How does a student voluntarily attend the Homework Lab?
· Each week the student can register for the following week on a posted sign-up sheet at the office
· Parents can call the middle school and ask that their student be assigned to the Homework Lab
· Students must attend all four days even as a volunteer
What happens if a student is not prepared for or misbehaves in the Homework Lab?
· All classroom/school rules and expectations will be followed
· Students are subject to school disciplinary procedures with office referrals
What if a student is involved in school extra-curricular activities and needs the Homework Lab?
· Students involved in extra-curricular activities will be excused from the Homework Lab at 3:30 to attend practice or home event
· Students athletes will be excused to attend away events at the appropriate time to travel
How does a student get home after the Homework Lab?
· School transportation will be provided to bus stops in the district
· Arrival time home will vary weekly with the number of attendees
· Students may walk home with parent permission
· Students can be picked up in front of the Sager Middle entrance
Can a student bring a snack to the Homework Lab?
· The school will provide a small snack for students
· A student may bring an additional snack if they wish
Questions? Please contact Sager at 509-525-5300